Private chapel


The construction of the nave in the church of St. Pantaleon began in 1776 and ended with the apse in 1822, the revolution greatly slow down the work. The supervisor was the master mason Giovan Battista from Milan.

An old building, is located under the same and probably is the Romanesque church that existed before the 17th century. An act of 1269 was signed “nela ecclesia to Sancto Panthaleo” in the church of Saint Panteleimon. The “Primer” by Father Agostino Gio Giudicelli of Barrettali, who lived at the time, tells us that the Church of St. Panteleimon was built in 1776 and before there was a small chapel in the same position.

The current tower was built in 1615 by architect Francis Marengo, for the old baroque church existed in the late sixteenth century, the foundations of which are under the present church.

In 1875 there was the first major restoration was made by master Pietro Giuseppe Simonpietri Cagnano: consolidation of the foundations of the arch, replacing tiles terracotta paving slate of two colors and restoration of the magnificent facade of the current neo-Baroque style.

It was restored for the second time in 1929. The third restoration took place in 2006, the church was completely plastered with lime, with its original colors and was also rebuilt the surrounding area.

In the Church of St. Panteleimon’s a very beautiful organ, built in 1867 by Gaspero Domains and restored in 1976 by Alain Sals.

The Archives Departmental of Southern Corsica are the documents of the pastoral visits of the Lords Mascardi, Saporito and De Mari, bishops Nebbio during the 17th century. These documents tell us, in particular, the status of “Holy Pantaleo” at that time and orders of the bishops to do some restoration work of the church.

The current building is fully registered as a historic monument.

Note that this magnificent building, a symbol of renewal Barrettali, received in 2012 the “National Award ribbons Heritage”.

The private chapel that is located in the church of St. Pantaleon is a former private chapel of Altieri Stazzona, burned by the barbarian invasions, was transferred here in 1630 with its altar.

This altar has an aesthetic similar to the style Rocaille French. Under the floor of the chapel there was a tomb called “vault” (“Ark” in Corsican), which was closed during the restoration of the pavement of the Church between the late 800 and early ‘900. From ‘500 to’ 700 bodies were buried without cash and introduced in the tomb directly from the mouth. In ancient times, in Corsica, the tomb was like a small square tank with a vent on top, closed by a marble slab that served as a cover, and there was the possibility to access it. It was during the reign of Louis XVI that were forbidden burial of bodies in churches and ran only from 1830, with the reign of Louis Philippe, the chapels were built outside the churches with underlying tomb accessible by stairs and gravestones which were reported information concerning the deceased.


Leave a comment